Research at Xavier University
Xavier University (XUB) views research as an activity where our core institutional values are expressed clearly. At XUB we recognize the need to participate in the global academic environment through high quality publications. At the same time, research at XUB is also driven by the need to engage with specific clients and user groups, in accordance with our vision and values.
In order that research activities at the University may add up to create a big picture consistent with our vision, XUB provides various institutional mechanisms to promote information sharing, shared understanding, extended research-oriented engagements with potential clients/users, and meaningful collaborations. overall, research at XUB seek the exciting frontiers of capacity building, social innovation, collective intelligence, human development, and such other ends as relevant to the mission of the various schools under the university.
Doctoral Program Overview
The 'Doctor of Philosophy' (Ph.D.) program, intended to prepare the participants for teaching and research positions both within and outside academia. The participants who complete the program successfully are conferred the designation of “Doctor of Philosophy in ____________, Xavier University Bhubaneswar”. Our Scholars are expected to be specialists in their respective fields and capable of generating new knowledge that contributes to the development of management thinking and practice.
The program draws upon Indian and global experience in doctoral education in management and various related fields. The program is also designed to serve as a venue for nurturing various academic debates concerning research. The program structure includes a significant component of research training, facilitated by both in-house and visiting researchers. Ph.D. Scholars are expected to develop deep understanding in the areas of research selected by them. They also get a structured exposure to a range of management topics, develop various professional skills, and participate in the Institute’s academic activities. The Institute supports participation in academic conferences and publication of one’s work in scholarly media.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY (Ph.D.) PROGRAM
The Doctoral Program (Ph.D.) is intended to prepare the participants for research and teaching positions both within and outside academia. Our doctoral scholars are expected to be specialists in their respective fields and capable of generating new knowledge and be the great new thinkers for our world. The program draws upon Indian and global experience in doctoral education. The program is also designed to serve as a venue for nurturing various academic debates concerning research across the relevant domains. The program structure includes a significant component of research training, facilitated by both in-house and visiting researchers. Ph.D. scholars are expected to develop deep understanding in the areas of research selected by them. They also get a structured exposure to a range of topics, develop various professional skills, and participate in XUB’s academic life and activities.
GOALS OF THE PROGRAM
- Integrity and excellence in Research through research training, original research, and dissemination
- To prepare students for professional leadership in the respective field of choice.
- To facilitate research entrepreneurship wherein researchers are encouraged to explore themselves, ask questions, actively seek peers' feedback, build conviction in their ideas with peers in specific and society in general.
- To make scholarly contributions to XUB's endeavor towards sustainability, Entrepreneurships and Analytics (SEA) by understanding those issues which are fundamental to research enquiry.
Advisory Committee: Doctoral Programs
- Prof. Gajendra Kumar Adil; Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Prof. Bernard McKenna; University of Queensland, Australia
- Prof. D.P Dash; Swinburne University, Sarawak Campus, Malaysia
- Prof. Purnima Singh; Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Prof. A.K. Sharma; Indian Institue of Technology, Kanpur
- Prof. Vinish Kathuria; Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Prof. Rohit Varman; Indian Institute of management, Calcutta
- Prof. Arkadev Chatterjea; Indiana University Bloomington, USA
Scholarships and other supports
Those who qualify for JRF shall be provided Junior Research fellowship from the University Grant Commission.
For further details, kindly visit http://ugcnetonline.in/notification.php
At XUB we encourage our research scholars to participate in teaching assignments, research projects and consultancy.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY (Ph.D.) PROGRAM
The Doctoral Program is designed to prepare students for professional leadership in the field of management, and commerce. The objective of the Ph.D. program is to facilitate research entrepreneurial skills and orientation of doctoral scholars. It is designed to promote the culture of research entrepreneurship wherein researchers are encouraged to explore themselves, ask questions, actively seek peers’ feedback, build conviction broader level Ph.D. Program aims at contributing towards XUB’s endeavour towards Sustainability, Entrepreneurships and Analytics (SEA) by understanding those issues which are fundamental to the research enquiry, and have a linkage with organizations, institutions, economy, society, and environment.
Eligibility: Master’s degree (or equivalent) in any management/communications/ architecture/planning related discipline from a recognized University, with at least 55% marks. In case the score is available on a letter-grade system, the Institute expects a minimum cumulative score of 5.5 on a 10-point scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants can fil up the application form online at: http://www.xub.edu.in, within the last date specified. Upon successfully filling the online application form and paying the application fee, the applicant will receive the confirmation by email.
Selection Process: Candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of their academic records and SOPs. The shortlisted candidates will be required to appear for Xavier Research Aptitude Test (X-RAT), and Personal Interview. UGC-NET qualified candidates will be exempted from appearing for the X-RAT.
DURATION OF THE PROGRAM
The Ph.D. students are expected to complete the program is 5 years. The first year of the program will be spent for course work, and the remaining years for completing subsequent steps leading to the doctoral thesis.
Course- work and Registration: The coursework has been organized in 3 phases during the 1st year of the program. The students are required to complete the course-work requirements successfully (pass mark is 60% in aggregate for each phase, and 55% in individual papers). Following that, the students are required to deliver specific research seminars related to their research objectives. On successful
completion of all, the student then presents the thesis proposal seminar. After the successful completion
of this seminar, the student’s Ph.D. topic will be registered with Xavier University, Bhubaneswar (XUB).
- Philosophies and Methodologies of Research
- Introduction to Qualitative Research
- Introduction to Quantitative Research
- Research Ethics and Plagiarism
- Research Communication & Writing
- Magis of Teaching and Learning
- Domain-specific Independent Studies
- Other School/Area Specific Courses (as relevant)
Additionally, workshops may be organized as per the requirements.
a) Officially Sponsored Candidates /Self Sponsored Candidates:
In case the organization supports the student’s Ph.D. or the students decide to sponsor themselves, the year-wise fees will be as follows:
- Rupees Three Lakhs in the First Year; and
- Rupees one lakh in each year from second year onwards.
c) Full Scholarship category: In case of deserving full-time student, the academic fee will be waived.
The students will be provided accommodation on campus, if available. The residential expenses will have to be paid by the students separately as per the prevalent rate (current rate is 42,000.00 INR per year, double seated), and mess expenses as per actual. Students can also choose to stay off-campus.
Indicative Areas of Research for Xavier School of Rural Management (XSRM)
- Decentralized Planning and Governance
- Development Financing
- Development Management and Livelihoods
- Development Organizations Structure and Design
- Development Policy
- Development Policy and Strategy
- Development Strategy
- E-Governance for Rural Development
- Gender & Equity
- Human Resources and Capabilities for Development
- Information and Communication Technology for Development
- Rural Finance
- Rural Marketing
- Rural Services Marketing
- Rural Society and Systems
- Rural Technology and Operations
- Sustainable Rural Livelihoods